I'd Still Devour You

you asked who i’d drive to 

the minute i turned 18

but he was no longer there to go to

so instead i learned how to drive myself

out of the depression

and rumors of infidelity

and maybe i just don’t know 

what i want

but we have all been used before

and i don’t think i can stay clean

and i don’t think i can fake a smile

just because i’m the brightest light in the room

doesn’t mean i’m burning out faster

and the only person who saw my tears

in the Bible 

was the one who created the words

now singing me to sleep

and i don’t think man

could understand the pain

Eve went through

losing trust

and being cursed with pain

i want to tell you

about the difference between Peter and Judas

because one felt guilty

and the other didn’t

i don’t think people discern the one from the other

very well

because i was never pitied

when i broke down in tears for you

God screaming for me to come back

and i came back every time

but that didn’t stop the guilt

or the pain

from being taken advantage of

in my chest

and God knows the right man won’t do that

but did any man he’s created

ever turn out completely right

when they were born of woman

born from Eve

and i want you to tell me

if any of what is left was real

because if you love someone you don’t let them go

the most fragile moments 

are built from the same taste

and if we don’t like the same things

i swear i’d still devour you

in an ache from wanting to know

if you’re actually sent from God 

for me. 




Comments

Popular Posts