3rd day of National Poetry Month

 For the past three days I've been doing the poetry prompts for April created by Isaiah Quinn, he is the author of Lighthouse, and currently one of my favorite poets. 

The second day of his prompts is where I've taken inspiration from for today's poem, Growing Pains. 


i’m connected to a short leash

and a short fuse

trying to make the most of being young

because i know it won’t be like this for long

just like the waves on the sides of my thighs

i’m slowly finding where i’m meant to grow

like in the words i write 

trying hard not to be embarrassed from the people

that think they know me

and realizing they don’t know a thing

because i’m slowly growing in a way

no one close to me has ever grown

and there’s no bandaids 

or pain killer

for the pains that come with this 

when your legs hurt in the middle of the night

you have to get up and just walk it off again

i’m trying to ignore the fact i know my future is coming fast 

and yet i continue to be 

impatient for it. 




Here is the prompt he has created for April




Comments

Popular Posts