That's Why I Liked You

 That's Why I Liked You



The late night texts have gotten shorter

and sometimes I don’t even get them at all,

like how you never told me I was pretty in the past

and I think that’s why I liked you,

because you’re different from the rest.

But after you told me I was pretty once

and you never said it again,

my mirror started treating me the same way

and I don’t really think I’m in a good place,

unlike when I was in your arms with hugs that lasted 

so much longer than they do now,

and the way your eyes lit up every time I was around

but they no longer even drift my way,

and the sing-songy manner you used to say my name

is now but a whisper,

with a harsh tint in its place.

Like when you told me you don’t love me anymore

and I took that as a sign

that I had been replaced,

but really you just never saw me in that way.

My mind had been playing tricks on me every single day,

but at least I know one truth

that my love was still real.

Comments

Popular Posts