In That House

I am not a whole person.

Parts of me died in the house

I grew up in.

I am but a child trying to find their way back home.


The ghost of who I was is there –

playing on a tire swing,

sitting in the kitchen while her mother cooks pancakes,

dancing around her bedroom,

playing dolls with her cousin.

Hiding in her brother's room, filled with the scent of his cologne,

when the fighting gets too loud,

a tiny sanctuary in a warzone. 


She never hated her body,

or questioned her worth.

And yet, she believed the world might have

been better if she was never born,

because her brother told her so.


Life was still bittersweet

like breakfasts that summer before things fell apart,

like maple syrup and chocolate chips

before it burnt her soul and let the smoke fill her lungs.


Before she became someone 

still searching for her home

Comments

  1. This heartfelt poem beautifully captures the emotions and experiences of growing up in a challenging environment and it's something I can relate to. This poem broke my heart. And I noticed that you paint which is just amazing. You're very talented keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Asrar! I'm so grateful to have met you in the poetry classes! Your poetry is so emotional and beautiful as well!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts